FEDERAL STUDENT AID ID
How do I get an FSA ID?
You can create an FSA ID here: https://fsaid.ed.gov
What is an FSA ID?
The FSA ID - a username and password - has replaced the Federal Student Aid PIN.
How is the FSA ID used?
The FSA ID is used to log in to certain U.S. Department of Education websites. Your FSA ID confirms your identity when you access your financial aid information and electronically sign Federal Student Aid documents.
Do Both Parent and Student need a FSA ID?
Yes, if you are a parent of a dependent student, you will need your own FSA ID to sign your child's FAFSA electronically. If you have more than one child attending college, you can use the same FSA ID to sign all applications.
Can I use my FSA ID right away?
- If you already have a Federal Student Aid PIN, you can link your PIN to your FSA ID, This allows you to immediately use your FSA ID to access your personal information on the FAFSA.
- If you are creating an FSA ID for the first time, or if you don't link your FSA ID to your PIN, your FSA ID is considered conditional until your information is verified with the SSA.
You may use your conditional FSA ID to sign an original FAFSA, but nothing else.
- Once your information is verified with the SSA (one—three days from the date you apply), you will be able to use your FSA ID to fully access your financial aid information.
Steps to Create an FSA ID
- When logging into this website https://fsaid.ed.gov click the tab to create an FSA ID.
- Create a username and password, and enter your e-mail address.
- Enter your name, date of birth, Social Security number, contact information, and challenge questions and answers.
- If you have a Federal Student Aid PIN, you will be able to enter it and link it to your FSA ID. You can still create an FSA ID if you have forgotten or do not have a PIN.
- Review your information, and read and accept the terms and conditions.
- Confirm your e-mail address using the secure code, which will be sent to the e-mail address you entered when you created your FSA ID. Once you verify your e-mail address, you can use it instead of your username to log in to the websites.
Ready to File the FAFSA?Here's What You'll Need...Student:* Social Security number, driver's license number and date of birth* 2017 federal and state tax returns* W-2 forms and/or other records of income earned in 2021* Current bank statements and investment records.* Records of untaxed income received in 2021(e.g., veterans benefits, child support received, etc.)* 2020 business and farm records.* Alien registration number, if not a U.S. citizen.Parent(s):* Social Security numbers and dates of birth.* 2021 federal and state tax returns.* W-2 forms and/or other records of income earned in 2021.* Current bank statements and investment records.* Records of untaxed income received in 2021 (e.g., veterans benefits, child support received, etc.)* 2021 business and farm records.* Alien registration number, if not a U.S. citizen.Student can file for financial aid for the 2023-2024 school year after October 1, 2022.Questions?Call the Iowa College Access Network at 1-877-272-4692 or email ICAN@ICANsucceed.orgRelated LinksEstimate your eligibility for federal student aidApply for federal student aid.